The beauty and overall “health” of a home can be greatly spoiled if there is uncorrected roof damage in Colorado. Roof damage can result in leaks that leave watermarks on the ceilings and damage to interior walls and floors. Then, mold and mildew can thrive in wet materials causing health problems in the home. Roof damage and leaks can happen to any home, but there is no reason to panic. Most problems can be fixed quickly. However, there are two important words to know: “Don’t wait.”
Causes of Roof Damage
Some of the causes of roof damage are:
- A crack in the flashing—the thin metal sheeting that surrounds chimneys.
- Lack of sealant in the valleys of a roof—where two slopes come together and where water may pool.
- Cracked vent booting—the wraparound “boot” at the base of vent pipes on the roof.
- Ice dams which can force water up beneath roof shingles.
- Bad, or clogged gutters that cause water to back up underneath shingles.
- Cracked chimneys.
- Improperly installed or sealed skylights.
- Wear and tear on the roof, caused by too much foot traffic on the roof. Also, the natural long-term effects of weather which cause roofing material to blister, buckle, split, or crack.
- Hail and wind damage which can puncture or blow away shingles.
- Broken, cracked, or missing shingles caused by the age of the roof or by tree branches that scrape the roof.
- Improper roofing material installation.
- Rotten or damaged facia behind guttering.
If you have experienced a serious storm, check for any roof damage. Additionally, keep a close eye on your roof throughout the year for other signs of damage or potential damage:
- Hail damage evidenced by divots in the shingles or by dents on cars or other items on your house or in your yard.
- Missing, cracked, curled, or broken shingles.
- A large amount of shingle granules in the rain gutters or deposited out of a downspout.
- A very faded roof with bare areas where there should be an abundance of shingle granules.
- Water stains or leaks.
- Moss spores on sections of the roof.
- Curled, damaged, or corroded flashing.
- Broken or damaged gutters.
Don’t Wait on Roof Repairs
Contact Sprague Roofing to inspect your roof and perform necessary repairs. Procrastination can result in more damage and cost more money.